Peter J G Pearson
Imperial College London
Peter is Honorary Professor in Faculty of Natural Sciences, Centre for Environmental Policy at Imperial College.
- Long run energy technology and fuel transitions and their energy and environmental policy implications, in industrialised and developing countries;
- Urban energy systems and their sustainability;
- Sustainable innovation policy processes and transitions to lower carbon emitting energy systems.
- Specialist Advisor to the House of Commons Innovation, Universities, Science & Skills Select Committee’s Inquiry into Renewable Electricity Generation (2007-08).
- The Queen’s Lecture 2007 at the Technical University of Berlin: “Energy Systems in Transition – No Future without Innovation.”
- Chair, International Evaluation Panel on Environment and Societal Sciences for the Research Council for Biosciences and Environment (RCBE) of the Academy of Finland (2006); member, SUS-EN Sustainable Energy Panel (2007)
- Invited member EPSRC Peer Review College: 2005-2009;
- Invited member, EC’s Advisory Group on Energy (AGE) for 6th Framework RTD Programme (2002-2006);
- Invited reviewer, lead papers in The Energy Journal, Vol 27, special issue on Endogenous Technological Change and the Economics of Atmospheric Stablisation;
- Invited reviewer, International Energy Agency’s World Energy Outlook 2006;
- Invited member, UK National Audit Office Emissions Trading Review Expert Panel (2003-4);
- Chairman (1992, 2002), British Institute of Energy Economics (BIEE). BIEE Council member since 1990;
- The International Association for Energy Economics (IAEE) (Elected Vice President for Publications,two terms, 1994-97; Council Member, President’s Appointment, 1993; ex officio 1994-97; Council Committee on Publications, appointed, 1990-92);
- Invited economic consultant to The Inspection Panel of the World Bank, to review the economic analyses of the Bujagali Dam Project (Uganda) (2001-02), the Chad/Cameroon Oil Pipeline Project (2001-02) and the Cartagena Water and Sewerage Project, Colombia (2004-05);
- Directed Surrey University’s Energy Economics Centre (SEEC), 1989-1994.
- ESRC Global Environmental Change Research Fellowship on international energy-related environmental priorities – research in India, Hong Kong & South Korea (1993);
- Served on the editorial boards of: Energy Economics, Energy Policy, The Energy Journal, Journal of Natural Resources Policy Research.
- Co-founded Third World Energy Policy Study Group (1984).
- Secretary (1984-1991), The Input-Output Research Association (IORA)
- In the 1970s, spent two years at the Institute of Economic Growth in Delhi, coordinating ODA-funded collaborative research and modelling on income distribution, employment and growth.